Tips for Creating User-Friendly Website Content
With over 9 billion user searches per day, Google continues to be the most visited website in the world. Brands and companies of all sizes rely on Google search results to connect with their target audiences and potential customers.
Consider these stats:
- The world is using Google—96.84% of the global mobile search traffic belongs to Google
- Users are frequently searching throughout the day, with 77% of people using the site three times a day
- More than 50% of consumers use Google to discover or find a new brand/company
Google search recently launched the “helpful content update,” which aims to better reward content that provides a satisfying experience with relevant and useful information for people. Through the update, Google is encouraging companies to write for people and not just search engines.
Put simply, Google would like to ensure “people see more original, helpful content written by people, for people, in search results.”
What does this mean for marketers when creating content?
A people-first approach to content focuses first on useful, relevant, and satisfying content that also balances using SEO best practices to bring searchers additional value.
According to Google, here are a few tips for incorporating the people-first approach into your content creation process:
- Ensure that you have an existing or intended audience for your business or site that would find the content useful
- Demonstrate first-hand expertise and in-depth knowledge of your subject matter, product, etc.
- Have a primary purpose or focus
- Leave users feeling they’ve learned enough about a topic to help achieve their goal(s)
- Provide a satisfying experience
- Incorporate Google’s guidance for core updates (changes designed to improve search results) and product reviews
Some tips for creating people-first content
Incorporating this approach does not disregard following SEO best practices, as it’s important to continue making small modifications to various parts of your website to improve your site’s organic search results and user experience. Using SEO as the primary driving force behind content will, however, correlate to content that searchers find unsatisfying.
The key? Write content attractive for humans, not just search engines!
Here are some tips to get you started:
- Produce lots of content on different topics, avoiding duplicative, overlapping, and redundant pieces with slightly different keyword variations
- Don’t just rely on automation to create content
- Add value to your topics—don’t just summarize what others are saying
- Write for your existing audience and not just what’s trending
- Create original, comprehensive, and compelling content that leaves users feeling like they no longer need to search again to get better information from other sources
- Good content is quality over quantity, which means don’t focus on a particular word count
- Make promises you can keep!
- Focus on your areas of expertise
- Be a trusted source of information
- Ensure that your content is well-edited with no spelling, stylistic, or factual errors
- Ask yourself, “Could this article live beyond online/be published in a magazine or book?”
Want to create people-first content and a better user experience? We’re here to help!
As you know, Google is an incredible way for potential customers to find you. While SEO optimization is extremely beneficial for your company to improve search rankings, creating people-first content is crucial.
Thankfully, you can leverage our experienced and dynamic team of both content creators and search experts to assist you with both!
Let us create the ultimate user experience with your content and on your site so that you can stay focused on the other operations of your business. We’ll ensure that your content delivers the very best possible experience and adheres to the latest Google updates, while delicately balancing SEO best practices.
Curious about how your content can be improved? Connect with us today, and let’s talk about your goals!